Monday 9 May 2011

Update on the veg plots and allotment

In the news today there has been lots of talk of the UK having a bumper strawberry harvest and an earlier season due to the warm dry spring we're experiencing.  On a personal level I can certainly vouch that our two strawberry patches are looking very healthy and we have some very early strawberries all ready to ripen in the sun.
Our allotment has been a little neglected of late, due to the same reasons why I havent updated my blog, but this afternoon I pottered down, weeded around the strawberry plants and spread straw on the ground to prevent rotting and to try to discourage slugs.
When I mentioned to Little P what I'd been up to after school, she suggested that we sorted out her strawberry patch too.  So not to be outdone she spread straw all over the gaps between her little plants.  I'm hoping the sweetcorn seedlings growing in amongst the strawberries aren't harmed by the straw!

Here's a little look at the home veg plots which I am sorry to say are looking in better condition than the allotment at the mo.  Oh well, it's still major planting time so hopefully if we get a real push on planting at our site we should be fine for crops this year, fingers crossed!

Here's a general view of our home veggie patch:-
And a close up view of one of the beds- I'm still waiting for the runner beans to germinate at the back of the patch, I planted them over a week ago now.

And finally for today- my first cut flowers of the season from the garden, they really cheer up our outside dining area!

Check back tomorrow for some more sewing snippets!

1 comment:

  1. more sewing?! Can't wait....

    about the hat-saga : well, the first one was too small. The second too big. And the third..... still has to be made.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete