Thursday 30 September 2010

Pumpkins a Plenty!

The squash plants at the allotment are all dying off now.  I cant decide whether the colder weather has caused them to become wizened and the leaves to shrivel and die, or whether I just planted the seeds a little too early to be able to keep the plants growing healthy and strong all the way to Halloween.  This has been my first year of trying squash with any sort of conviction (I previously grew one small pumpkin a couple of years ago in our garden vegetable beds) so this year was to be the year that I gave over a whole bed on the allotment to pumpkins and squash.

There have been some successes and some disappointments.  The butternut squash didnt perform particularly well, but as you can see from the photograph below we did manage to grow two small fruits.
I'm storint the larger pumpkins in the greenhouse for now to hopefully harden the skin and complete the ripening process before storing in the house ready for carving at the end of the month!

The allotment is certainly needing a little Autumn TLC but we're still picking decnt crops of Runner beans and French beans- plus we've got loads of red salad bowl lettuce and lollo Rosso and a handful of bulbs of fennel.  The Brussels sprouts are also growing nicely- I'm hoping there'll still be some maturing later in the season for our Christmas Meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment