Thursday 2 September 2010

Garden vegetable patch haul!

Two posts in one day...........have I taken leave of my senses!! No, but I just couldnt resist as I have just unearthed a couple of lovely surprises in the garden.......
With all the rainy cold days of this August, family holidays, and with our allotment to look after, I'm ashamed to say that our garden vegetable patch has become just a little bit neglected of late.  This afternoon as the sun was shining I decided to clear away some of the plants that had gone to seed or had become old and straggly.  As I started the task of tidying up just one of the beds I discovered carrots, Kohl Rabi and flat leaved parsley all waiting to be harvested.  Then I picked the cherry tomatoes that are ripeneing beautifully on some plants that I just popped in the patch as an experiment and added those to today's tomatoes from the greenhouse, and of course this week's cucumber!  Altogether it looks like quite a haul, especially considering the fact that I thought I would just be clearing one of the patches, I never would have thought there was produce to be harvested too!
I have been particularly pleased with some of the tomato varieties I planted this year as they have been good heavy croppers.  In the greenhouse a plum variety called 'Shirley' has done really well, as has old cherry favourite 'sungold', however in the garden veg patch I planted a cherry variety called red cherry which has produced prolific fruits of pink/red colour in long trusses.  I think this variety is probably more suited to a container, where the fruits can trail over the sides, but I was nevertheless impressed with it's performance in the soil.  I wonder what delights vegetable bed number 2 will reveal when I tackle clearing it tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment