Monday 17 May 2010

Relaxing at the allotment

Our little family has been having a bit of a tough time over the last few days, so I was really delighted when Mr B surprised me with a 'day at home' today. We took little p to school, she was very excited as it was a 'Daddy taker' day, and then we nipped down to the garden centre to buy some netting followed by a blissful couple of hours down at the allotment....... I really love working on our little patch, especially in the weekdays when it's very quiet. When the sun's shining it's a really beautiful place to be and it really makes your heart sing to be pottering about in the fresh air with the warm sunshine raising your spirits. As I feared we have a few casulties from the recent frosts, namely the courgettes, dwarf and climbing beans and the potatoes. Luckily I had a few extra plants in the cold frame as insurance for exactly these eventualities, so I got to work replacing my damaged plants. Mr B was very busy today constructing my netting supports with blue plastic water piping- the idea was to make a sort of 'mega cloche' to try to deter the crows from pulling out the seedlings and young plants. I think you'll agree from the pictures he did a great job and they look very impressive!

As if that wasn't enough, my handsome partner in crime then set about creating my cut flower patch which has been planned for ages but up until today had yet to be executed. And here it is, just in front of the bed with the three blue hoops in the picture, my first cutting patch (there's going to be a symmetrical one on the right) and it's difficult to see in the photo but I've already planted a row of giant sunflower seedlings with a row of dwarf sunflower seedlings just in front. At home in the cold frame I've also got cosmos and larkspur waiting to go out........

Our final job for the morning was to plant a little memorial rose bush towards to back of our plot, I think you can just make it out in the top and second photographs in the middle rear planting bed. We're really looking forward to seeing the beautiful pink blooms and smelling it's rosey fragrance in the summer.........


No comments:

Post a Comment